About Me

My photo
Resourceful, personable and dedicated progressive advocate adept at skillfully using privileges to make space for marginalized groups. Established organizer renowned for distinguished performance as an employee, volunteer, activist and consultant. Ability to leverage engaging communication skills to build lasting relationships with community partners, fostering growth and strengthening an organization’s reputation. Natural relationship-builder recognized for effective leadership across diverse communities, serving gracefully under pressure in complex circumstances. Jackie L. Craig, M.S. Ed. - Counselor Education

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Why I Do Not Agree With Drug Testing Safety Net Program Recipients

I am about to share the true story of part of my childhood to help people understand who has the potential for "paying" for the very real challenges some adults face. This is one of the many reasons I do not support drug testing for families who rely on safety net programs. Please open your hearts and minds.

My mother and stepdad brought two wonderful babies into the world 35 years ago. Mom delivered the twins naturally (they were over 8 pounds each, mind you) and breastfed them in a spectacular fashion (sorry, no photos of that). See how adorable!

Thanks to Mom, those girls were well fed!

My stepdad suffered with PTSD from serving as a Marine in Vietnam (he was 19). He struggled with substances and other issues that I won't detail here. Addiction, when untreated, can have terrible effects on families. 

My family was struggling to make ends meet and needed to use safety nets provided by our government to sustain us. I am not exaggerating to share that we sometimes only had peanut butter and saltines to eat. Even as we started to make ends meet, we received government cheese, powdered milk, and other supplies that helped stretch our family funds.

This was us back in "the day."

Was it just that we were able to use food stamps while my stepdad was struggling with addiction? I argue that it most certainly was. He paid a high price for serving our country and I argue that it is imperative that we support all of our veterans (sorry for my little side-rant). 

I remember the feeling of walking down to the local grocery store with funny looking money to bring groceries home. It was embarrassing to not have "real" money, but I was hungry. Thank you to our government for not making me go without food and for keeping me healthy when my family was struggling. We may have fallen on tough times, but we survived. I won't even go into the details of how White Privilege helped (how about that... side-rant avoided). 

Peace to you and yours - Jackie